Saturday, July 4, 2009

Driving on the Island

Well, I did not have a photo, so I did not write about driving. Lucy took this photo; it shows our Mazda Familia rental car. Here we've arrived at world famous Waiheke High School to enroll the kids.
Emily regrets that she did not bring the video camera to record the first family drive. "Left!" everyone yelled over and over and over to keep me on the wrong side of the road.
No worries, it was my third time to drive and I had practiced during two prior drives.

The first was the worst. Alone at the rental agency, I took the car on a one hour spin--the drive across the island takes 15 minutes or less, but I got lost. The roads are primarily two lanes--they
seem like 1.5 lanes wide--and there is no shoulder. Once I knew I was lost--I kept passing the same people and houses again and again--I had to find a stopping point for map reading.

Next, the road signs are grand for those who like a good puzzle. The intersection signs told me the roads I met, but there wasn't a sign for the road I was on. So I had to take a road, note its name, drive to next road, note that name, and then drive until I found a stopping place. My problem: I kept taking those easy left turns--so I was in one loop or another.

Got the hang of right turns; took a high, one-lane gravel road along a ridge--beautiful view and I didn't fall off--saw Onetangi beach far, far, below me; and got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment