Thursday, July 16, 2009

The 15 Story Death Elevator

999 auckland night

...is not in this photo. I snapped this one after my escape. Albert Park is at my back, I am looking toward Queen Street, which takes me to the ferry dock.

I worked until 5:45 p.m., packed my things, and tried to take the elevator from the 9th to the 4th floor. The 4th floor is street level at Symonds Road. The elevator opened when I pressed the button. I stepped inside and the doors closed. Then the buttons did nothing.

The building has a nighttime system that requires a key card to authorize passage from place to place. I have a card, but it is new and it takes a few days to get authorized. I waved the card, got a green light, pressed either the 3rd or 4th floor button and nothing happened.

I was about to press the open button--I hope that would work--when the elevator started to move down. Whew, I was saved by a professor with a working card. He summoned the elevator to the 4th floor and I got out.

I understand having a elevator that will not let you in. However, it seems pretty dangerous to have an elevator that will not let you out. This tower has no rest rooms for hiding. I could not squirrel myself away until after 5:30 p.m.

Well, I was free by 6 p.m. and my walk got me to the ferry by 6:15 p.m.


999 ferry at night

The ferry building looks great at night. Especially after an escape from the 15-story death elevator. Beer please.

No comments:

Post a Comment