Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Drive About Waiheke

Our funds transfer worked and we picked up our 1993 Honda Ascot.


(This is someone else's 1993 Honda Ascot, but ours looks like this, but without the new paint job. Or the alloy wheels. Ours is intended for backpacking.)

I took the bus to the ferry and walked to the auto rental centre where the seller kept the car.

Strange thing here. When you buy a car, folks just give you their bank account number and you transfer the cash via internet. Then you go to the post office and register the car in your name. All you need is the license plate number and $9. The seller signs nothing--I suppose there is a good penalty for randomly registering cars in your name.

I drove the car back, moved some cash from the ATM to the bank. "Oh, you're Ms. S's friend, Terry, aren't you?" the teller said as she made the deposit.

After lunch, Lucy and I took a spin and went to Waiheke's far end. No bus goes there. On the way we took a scenic ridge road--where I was lost when I rented a car weeks ago--and bought $20 petrol, which is 1/4 tank. I'll have to figure the $/gallon someday. Or not.

When we parked the car in the driveway, I finally looked at the dash and instruments. There are two sockets labeled Audio and Video. Video?

"Try it," said Lucy and I pressed the Open/Close button. A box extended from the dash. When I tilted the box on its pivots, the LCD panel switched on. A television set. Wow. Wait, 1993, rats, it's analog!

No comments:

Post a Comment